If you have submitted an application to MNO’s COVID-19 Emergency Support Programs please know that our staff is working to provide citizens and families with help as quickly as possible. An intake coordinator will be in contact. Thank you for your patience and understanding at this time.
The Métis Nation of Ontario has created several COVID-19 Emergency
Financial Support Programs to provide supplemental emergency financial supports for citizens and their families.
APPLY NOW: https://covid.metisnation.org
Housing Stabilization Program
For people who are:
- facing eviction and have received an eviction notice from their landlord
- precariously housed and need short term shelter support (e.g motel stay)
- Eviction prevention supports, including payment of COVID19 related rental arrears
- Basic needs provisions, including access to vouchers for food, hygiene supplies, and PPE
- Education and information on tenant rights and responsibilities
- Assistance with housing applications and housing searches
- Facilitate access to emergency shelters
- Internal and external referrals to housing supports and resources, include referrals to legal supports
Support will be assessed case by case for individuals or families based on their needs.
Métis Nation Citizens, self-identified Métis, and other Indigenous people
Must be homeless, at risk of becoming homeless or be precariously
For more information please contact the MNO’s Métis Housing
Stabilization Team by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-800-263-4889 Ext. 350.
NEW COVID-19 CHILD CARE SUPPORT PROGRAM
The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) is pleased to offer the COVID-19 Child Care Support Program to help Métis families access safe high quality child care during the COVID-19 pandemic. All Métis families who meet the qualifications are encouraged to apply.
COVID-19 SPECIAL NEEDS SUPPORT PROGRAM
The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) has put in place several COVID-19
Emergency Financial Support Programs to assist MNO Citizens and families affected by the pandemic. To this roster the MNO has added a Special
Needs Support Program.
Through the Special Needs Support Program MNO Citizens with children aged 0-21 years with special needs can receive a one-time benefit of $500 per child up to a maximum of $2,000 per family to provide assistance during this time of physical distancing. This benefit is limited to one per household
Parent or Child must be a citizen of the Metis Nation of Ontario and
reside in Ontario
A copy of MNO citizenship must be included
Have a special need diagnosis
Be 0-21 years
Please note: Families with children aged 0-12 also qualify for the MNO
Family Emergency Fund, Technology Fund, and Food Security Fund.
Provide proof of child(ren)’s age (i.e. copy of a birth certificate, passport, heath card, etc.)
Supporting documentation that confirm your child’s diagnosis. Approved documentation includes:
- Letter from your child’s doctor or psychologist confirming your child’s diagnosis
- Psychological Assessment
- Proof that your child qualifies for the Disability Tax Credit (you can provide a screen shot from Revenue Canada indicating your child is entitled to the Disability Tax Credit)
- Official Identification, Placement, and Review Committee (IPRC) letter from your child’s District School Board
Must not be receiving emergency support from any other provincial
Funds will be paid to MNO Citizens via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
Please attach a void cheque or direct deposit slip to your application.
Citizens can apply at https://covid.metisnation.org by indicating the
number of children with disabilities on the online application form.
COVID-19 EMERGENCY INCOME AND RENT RELIEF
Two new relief programs are available through the MNO COVID19- Emergency Financial Support Programs. The MNO Income Relief Benefit and the MNO Rent Relief Benefit.
The Rent Relief Benefit will provide a one-time benefit to MNO Citizen
households, to a maximum of $1,000, to assist in paying rent costs as they transition to CERB and other supports. This benefit is limited to one per household and can be combined with the MNO Emergency Income Relief Benefit.
The Emergency Income Relief Benefit provides a one-time benefit to MNO Citizens, to a maximum of $750, to assist in paying for expenses such as food or medicine as they transition to CERB and other supports. This benefit is also limited to one per household.
These two benefits are available to MNO Citizens who have lost income since March 15, 2020 as a result of the pandemic.
Those who qualify for these two supports include those experiencing:
- Layoff or job loss
- Reduction in work hours
- Quarantine or self-isolating
- Loss of self-employment
Loss of income because of caring for someone who is sick due to COVID-19
Loss of income due to the need to stay home with children due to school
While the MNO understands that everyone is experiencing hardships
during this unprecedented situation, only those who fall within the
parameters above are eligible to receive these funds.
In order to qualify for these benefits, citizens must provide:
- A copy of MNO Citizenship Card
- A Record of Employment (ROE) – or – proof of lay-off/job loss – or – proof of
- reduced work hours
- Self-employed applicants: a Declaration of Self-Employed Income
- Declaration Form
- A void cheque or direct deposit slip for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
For those applying for the Rent Relief Benefit two further documents must be provided:
- Proof of tenancy (copy of lease – or – letter from landlord)
- Proof of current rent amount (recent rent receipt (within last 2 months) -or – letter from landlord)
Social Assistance and Ontario Disability Support Program recipients should be aware that these benefits may affect their social assistance benefits and are suggested to inquiry with their case worker before applying.
COVID-19 EMERGENCY FAMILY SUPPORT PROGRAMS
For citizen’s with children, there are further benefits that offer help during the pandemic.
For Citizens with children aged 0-12, the MNO is offering the MNO Emergency Family Fund. Families may be eligible to receive a one-time benefit of $500 per child, up to a maximum of $2,000, to aid during this time of physical distancing. This benefit is limited to one per household.
For Citizens with children aged 0–12, the MNO has the MNO Food Security Fund for Children. Families can receive up to $600 (based on $200 monthly for three months) to purchase food to support child nutrition.
This benefit is limited to one per household.
For Citizens with children aged 0-12, the MNO has the MNO Technology Fund for Children. Families can receive a one-time benefit of $500 per Métis family to assist in the purchasing of technology for their children aged 0-12 to support learning at home. Technology can include, but is not limited to, laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, headphones, software, and apps. This benefit is limited to one per household.
To qualify for these MNO COVID-19 Emergency Family Support Programs:
Parent or Child must be a citizen of the Metis Nation of Ontario and reside
in Ontario Child(ren) must be:
- between the ages of 0-12 years for Emergency Family Fund and/or
- between the ages of 0-12 years for the Food Security and the Technology
- Provide proof of child(ren)’s age (i.e. copy of birth certificate, passport,
- heath card, etc.)
- Must not be receiving emergency support from any other Métis Government
These funds will be dispersed through electronic funds transfer for all who qualify. Applications can be submitted via the MNO Website
For those who may not qualify for financial assistance detailed above the MNO is offering other ways to help. Please contact our toll-free number at 1-800-263-4889 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.